Storytelling PR is looking for a new Publicist / Comms Expert.
This post will start in May 2022 and is not a new role, but one that we are looking for someone brilliant to make their own. Interviews will be held on Wednesday 13 April and applications close on Friday 08 April at 5pm. If you have an access requirement please do not hesitate to contact us.
Storytelling PR Ltd is a PR and Comms company based in Edinburgh. We work between Scotland’s capital, Glasgow and London. We often work with international arts companies selling mostly to British audiences and with touring work – which can range from large cities through to tiny villages. Storytelling PR has a huge focus on theatre and performance that has an interest in social change or activism. We love good stories and good storytellers. We define our work by feminist / equalitist ethics and we feel it’s important our work and our services are available to both up-and-coming and established artists and companies – this has always been key to our practice and we actively ensure our client / company list is diverse. We are intersectional feminists, Queer-positive and actively anti-racist. We seek to collaborate with artists of all identities and we take the time to do the learning and work to support our artists and staff.
Storytelling PR Ltd is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, gender, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age. We strongly believe that diversity in the workplace is an asset both to our organisation and our ability to deliver for our diverse client and company base.
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone who enjoys working within a fast-paced environment as part of a small and dynamic team.
Main purpose of role:
- To be an integral member of the Storytelling Team working across Publicity and with a genuine interest and perspective on other areas of the business (marketing, digital).
- To collaborate with artists, companies, and live event makers.
- To work across many varied campaigns leading on some, supporting on others.
- To (essentially) be a representative to the media of some of the UK’s best theatre and live performance creatives in a way that the companies feel matches their own vibe and work.
What you will be doing:
- Delivering or supporting PR campaigns for all of Storytelling PR’s many and varied theatre, performance, and activism companies and clients across the UK. PR and Digital campaigns will include writing excellent fully finished press releases, issuing and pitching, logging all on a project WIP, keeping good records of who is engaged and interested in the work, looking for new contacts and matches for the work across a broad range of media.
- Engaging closely with a network of press media and with our companies to sell their work to audiences.
- Actively listening. As we work with Minoritised, Ethnically Diverse and Disability led companies there are often new conversations and considerations that need thought – from access, to the restraints of structurally problematic industries on all sides. You will hear often about Racism, Homophobia and Ableism. As you will be the intermediary between our brilliant companies and our colleagues in the press you’ll be expected to be aware of what support companies need.
- Working on our world-class Edinburgh Festival Fringe portfolio of leading performance art, dance, theatre, circus, cabaret and international theatre work.
- Running media calls and photoshoots for both news press and magazine coverage.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- A strategic and creative thinker.
- An ability to interpret creative practice for paper or pitching in a way that is clear and concise.
- Demonstrable knowledge of, and interest in, issues surrounding diversity and inclusion in the arts.
- A keen interest in culture – be that music, theatre, performance, pop culture or anything else.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and proven ability to collaborate with team-mates on projects.
- Ability to be based in Edinburgh for work from April/May 2022.
- Press contacts and a keen interest in culture, media and reportage.
- Highly organised, with a demonstrable ability to keep track of tasks, prioritise work under pressure and deliver against set targets to agreed deadlines.
- Someone who thrives in a busy environment – you can decide what resources you wish to rely on (be that a trusty notebook, a gsheet or trello) but you’ll need to be across your work and feel comfortable multitasking on busy days.
- Five years experience in the media world (be that as a journalist / PR / communications specialist) and experience working in a busy comms office or working within a press outlet.
- Active listening skills
- Social media and marketing know-how / interest.
- A keen interest and enthusiasm in seeing work live (when we can) and engaging with the Scottish and British theatre and performance art scene.
- An interest in activism and changing the world.
- Experience leading on content creation ideas through to execution and in close collaboration with colleagues.
Storytelling PR Publicist
Salary – salary will fit the applicant and will be offered based on experience between £25,000 – £28,000 annually. Storytelling staff receive an annual payrise and there is opportunity for staff to have a contribution towards counselling or therapy, because we think it’s very important to have good mental health!
We work from a light, buzzy (and often busy) office in Summerhall, Edinburgh.
We welcome applicants to send a cover letter and CV to email@example.com. The deadline for applications is Friday 08 April and applications are welcome any time before then.
Have a look at our equal opps doc here.
This role will be based in Edinburgh. We are currently working a mixed set up of home and office work, with an expectation of in person work weekly. There is opportunity for travel work across the UK through the year as required, for meetings with companies and media and to see work.
For further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.