Storytelling PR is part of the UK Government’s Kickstart scheme, which is designed for young people aged 16-24 who claim Universal Credit and are at risk of unemployment.
The scheme has helped us create a new entry-level vacancy for someone to join the team for six months as Press Assistant.
About the Role
This job will involve everything from writing press releases, speaking directly with creatives, logging coverage and planning in endless spreadsheets and generating great ideas. You will be expected to listen, learn and engage with the arts.
You will be supported to train and look for your own opportunities to grow – which storytelling will support with time or finance. We are looking for someone who engages with culture, loves to hear, and tell stories and is ready to take this opportunity and run with it. Storytelling is a small company meaning the opportunity for growth is very real and could happen really quickly with the right person and commitment!
The press assistant will work across all projects in the entire team, copywriting, fact-checking, researching and prepping press releases and supporting the team with admin tasks.
The role will last six months and will be 30 hours each week, over four days, and it can be flexible.
The successful applicant will be paid the Living Wage.
Skills and Experience
· A Higher / A Level equivalent in Drama, English, History, Politics, Culture
· Experience working in a fast paced environment
· An active interest in pop culture
· Comfortable with social media, be that one favourite platform or an awareness of many
· An active interest in the news, how the news is made and what’s happening in the world
· Experience making videos, editing and playing around with tech
· Fun loving and curious
· An interest in culture, be that books, live music,
· An awareness of what press relations and publicity are
· Excellent writing skills
· Experience using Excel, Word, Google drive and Google docs,
· A willingness to learn, think quickly
· Good communication skills
· Open-minded, caring and thoughtful
About Storytelling PR
Storytelling PR Ltd works with theatre makers, musicians, artists and change-makers to get their stories told to the world via press, media and digital marketing. We are one of the leading small publicity companies in Scotland and are very well known, within industry, at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe.
We pride ourselves on working opening within an equalist, feminist, anti-racist code of conduct and we appreciate as a small company we have perhaps more capability to support change makers, and make change ourselves, than some big industry powers.
How to Apply
To apply, contact your local job centre and ask to be referred to us.